Adam keeps bouncing around all of Europe and now Scandinavia, but always manages to give great interviews. It’s uncanny how direct, open and honest he is. This is from a teen magazine in Finland. It’s one of the best interviews I’ve read. Hope you think so too!
~ Carol ~
About the career:
What is the most personal song on your album?
– Broken Open. It’s about intimacy, that moment when someone is ready to release the wall around them and show himself to other, show good and bad side of him. The other says it’s okay, I accept you just the way you are.
Did you find writing process of the song hard for you?
– No, it felt good. It was like therapy.
There’s a song called Voodoo on the new version of your album. Who would you like to make a voodoo doll and why?
– Bill Kaulitz from Tokio Hotel! He’s so cute, so beautiful.
Wait, are you jealous of him, why are you thinking of making a doll?
– No, the opposite. He attracts me, he’s so appealing. I would like to meet him. I would like to go shopping with him!
You just came here from Germany. Why didn’t your meeting take place then?
– He’s busy. And straight. That’s why the doll, hehe!
Has anyone of your friends started to act differently after you became famous?
– A few of my friends were scared I would draw myself away from them. I had to convince them that wouldn’t happen and I still love them even though I am busy. Some of buddies – not my friends – wanted suddenly be so close with me. Didn’t work out!
Who was your first love?
– My ex boyfriend, we started dating when I was 25 years old. It was awesome and beautiful. We were together for two years.
Why did you break up?
– I guess we just grew apart. In the end we wanted different things. I learnt and grew up so much during our relationship. We’re still friends and I think that’s great.
How did you manage to accept your sexuality when you were young?
– It was hard during my teen years. I had no one to look up to. I didn’t know anyone else that was gay, not a single one person. Internet did exist but there was no Facebook or MySpace yet. There were some chats but I was afraid of them like pestilence, I was afraid of losing my anonymity and someone would find out. I felt myself like an alien, totally different from the others. I knew that things will work out when it’s time but at school I couldn’t talk about it to anyone.
When and how did you tell your parents?
– My mom dragged me out of closet! She asked me once if I had a girlfriend. I said no. “Would you like to get one?” “No.” “Well do you have a boyfriend?” “No.” “Would you like to have?” “Yeah!”
Well that was easy.
– While discussing about it my mom told me she always had known I was gay. I wondered why didn’t she tell me sooner. She had talked about it with some people and they had convinced her she shouldn’t push me. They said I would tell her when I was ready. I said her you should have pushed!
What kind of advice would you give to our readers that are wondering their sexual orientation?
– It’s hard to be different. If you feel like lonely believe there are a lot of people like you in the world. Some day you will get to know them and you will accepted. Try to think positive. If people think of you negative don’t care about them. Their opinion doesn’t matter.
What kind of person are you in your relationships?
– I am independent. I’ve always succeeded on my own. Sort of, that was the reason I was lonely for a long time. If I’m not interested in someone I become very unaffiliated. It’s been scary to notice how quick I might become codependent of my boyfriend. I have to work on finding balance between my traits.
Are you jealous?
– I always thought I wouldn’t. I am quite realistic and good to discuss about every subject but in the end… yeah, I’m damn jealous. Possessive and jealous.
How do you act when you go to jealous mode?
– I try to get out of it. Discussing about it with the other person usually helps. I’ve learnt a lot of myself and understood I am intensively passionate personality. Apparently there’s too much to handle sometimes but that’s who I am. And some people like intensive!
Are you seeing someone right now?
– No. I’m single.
Do you believe in love at first sight?
– I believe in strong mutual attraction and intuition at first sight, and one might foresee someone being special. For falling in love I however have to get to know with the person better.
Describe yourself with three words.
– Intensive. Friendly. Talkative.
Which word would your friends add to that?
– A bit of crazy. (laughs)
Which appearance related things were you insecure while being a teen?
– Where should I start from? I worried about my weight, body, skin – that is a problem still – and my masculinity. It’s needed differently in America than in Europe. I love European culture with masculine sense of beauty are different. Over here masculine beauty and cuteness is appreciated.
How did you get away from your insecurity?
– One by one I understood they don’t matter. I started to notice good characters about myself and love myself from inside. I believe when someone is on first-name basis with themselves they look attractive in eyes of the others. Not everyone can look like a model. The most important is accepting yourself and understand there are more important things in the world than what do you look like. It’s useless try to be perfect because no one is.
When and why did you cry the last time?
I regress to a baby while watching the movies and tv series. When I watched the 4th season “Skins” a while ago I started to bawl whena girl couple Naomi and Emily had an intimate moment. Actors in Skins are so great!
Which nicknames do your close ones call you?
– Family and friends don’t nickname me but my fans call me Glambert. I think that fits to me!
Who is the most important person in your life?
– (thinking) Probably my parents. My family… my mom.
When do you come to meet your fans in Finland? You’re way more popular in here than in Sweden!
– That’s what I heard! You’ve got good taste. Hopefully I can visit soon!
After the interview it’s been confirmed Adam performs in X Factor Finland on 2nd May.
Adam in short analysis
We gave a word, Adam replied the first word bumped to his mind.
Scary – Sadness
Joy – Singing
Envy – Luck
Inspiration – Glitter
Nature – Green
Happiness – Satisfaction
Beauty – Confidence